Federal Skilled Workers Visa for Canada

Federal Skilled Workers Visa for Canada


Being a federal skilled worker is vastly advantageous. You can move enduringly to Canada and become a permanent inhabitant. After a few years, you can also apply for Canadian nationality. Because of all these aids, many people want to immigrate to Canada, and the country also desires expert workforces, so they established the FSWP. This program calls the most competent and skilled people who apply from all over the world and who accomplish the settings to immigrate. The claimants should meet the strict standards and obtain the needed points. They should also try to have a job proposal in an exceedingly skilled job position to be able to uphold their status. The procedure takes from six months to one year to be accomplished if you apply and is very competitive.

Admissibility Standards

In demand to be qualified for the Federal Skilled Workers Program, there are diverse sets of standards you should achieve, such as:

  • Least Selection Measures Points: These points are based on many issues which have various points allocated by the Canadian Government. In demand to find out how much you scored, you should take an admissibility assessment on the Government of Canada website. This evaluation will ask you a series of queries to decide whether you reach the least admissibility standards, such as enquiries about your age, citizenship, job experience, language ability and so on. The entire points on the test are 100, and you should score 67 or further points to be qualified. The ensuing tables demonstrate the standards and the points for each so you can calculate them.
    • Language Skill: Language proficiency in English or French, which are certified Canadian languages, are required. The points are allocated for reading, writing, listening, and speaking ability. You should take an official language examination for English (CELPIP or IELTS) or French (TEF Canada or TCF Canada) and founded on those points. You obtain scored on what is acknowledged as a Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB). 
First Official Langiage Speaking Listening Reading Writing

CLB level 9 or higher

6 6 6 6
CLB level 8 5 5 5 5
CLB level 7 4 4 4 4
Below CLB level 7 Not qualified Not qualified Not qualified Not qualified


If you have language proficiency in the second certified language of Canada, you can also get an extra 4 points.

Second Certified Language Points
Minimum CLB 5 in all of the four skills 4
CLB 4 or fewer in any of the four skills 0


  • Educational Qualification: You are also mandatory to have minimum a secondary (high school) certificate from an overseas or Canadian institute. The additional educational qualifications you have, the more points you will gain. If you have a foreign certificate, then you should convert it to a Canadian degree through receiving an Educational Credential Assessment report from an official agency. This agency will assess your qualifications and will allocate an equal Canadian degree to it. The points range from 25 points for a PhD to 23 for a Master’s Gradation, 21 for a Bachelor Gradation in several arenas and so on. To find the full list of degrees and their conforming points, see the Education Factor Points for FSWP.
  • Job Experience: You are also needed to have some full-time or part-time, paid job experience to obtain points at expertise levels 0 (management jobs), A (specialized jobs that necessitate a university certificate) or B (vocational jobs or employments that need a college certificate or internships). In demand to decide the kind of job that you have, you should find the National Occupational Classification (NOC) code. When you do that, you can compare the years of job experience and gain the matching points.
Experience Maximum 15 Points
One year 9
Two-three years 11
Four-five years 13
Six or more years 15


  • Age Group:  You also obtain points dependent on your age group, as follows. 
Age Points
Below 18 0
18 – 35 12
36 11
37 10
38 9
39 8
40 7
41 6
42 5
43 4
45 2
46 1
47 - older 0


  • Organized Employment in Canada (Maximum 10 Points): You can also obtain points if you by now have a job proposal in Canada. The job proposal should be for a minimum one year, and it should not be periodic or seasonal. The work should be constant, compensated, and full-time (Minimum 30 hours per week) in an expert level 0, A, or B. To obtain the points you should be in one of these conditions:
    • You have a legal work authorization based on an encouraging Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) in a job that goes to an expert level 0, A, or B. You are also employed for the employer for which the work authorization was permitted. The company has made a legal job proposal for you if you become a permanent inhabitant.
    • You are presently employed in Canada in a job that is LMIA exempted since the position is based either on a global agreement (such as the North American Free Trade Agreement-NAFTA), it is of significant advantage to Canada, or is based on a federal-provincial contract. In this case, you should have a legal work license, you have been employed for that employer for the past year endlessly, and the company has made you a job proposal for when you become a permanent resident.
    • You have a work certification for Canada and are employed for a company who is LMIA exempted; yet, you have a job proposal from a different employer who has an LMIA to start the job when you become a permanent resident.
    • You do not have work authorization, but a proprietor who has an LMIA has made you a job proposal to start when you become a permanent inhabitant.
  • Adaptableness: You can also gain points for several aspects that decide how you will adjust to life in Canada.


Maximum 10 points

Your spouse or common-law companion has an English or French language skill of CLB 4 or advanced in speaking, listening, reading, or writing.


You have finished a minimum two years of full-time study at a secondary or post-secondary school in Canada


Your spouse or common-law companion has accomplished at least two years of full-time study at a secondary or post-secondary school in Canada


You worked for minimum one year full-time in Canada with a legal work certification in a job with expertise type level 0, A, or B


Your spouse or common-law companion had worked in Canada for a minimum one year as a full-time staff with a lawful work authorization


You have got employment in Canada


You or your spouse/common-law companion have relatives who are residing in Canada and are over 18 years old and have Canadian nationality or permanent resident. The relative can be a:

  • Parent
  • Grandparent
  • Grandchild
  • Child
  • You or your spouse’s sibling
  • You or your spouse’s aunt or uncle
  • You or your spouse’s niece or nephew



  • Evidence of Sufficient Funds: In adding to obtaining 67 points out of 100 to meet the requirements, you should also have sufficient funds to cover your stay in Canada for three to six months. You should verify this through submitting bank account declarations.
  • Eligibility: You should also be permissible under a permanent resident visa for Canada. This indicates that you should have a clean criminal history, not stance a threat to Canada’s national security, and be a healthy person. Only if you achieve all of the above standards, you can appeal for the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP).

How to Apply

If you have decided that you are qualified and that you will obtain 67 or more points, then the next phase is to initiate the application procedure. The Federal Skilled Worker Program is not a straight application program. This signifies that you will only submit a profile to the Canadian Government, and they will select who is the most competent to apply for permanent residence. The entire procedure takes from six months to one year, and you have to do the subsequent activities.

Gather Supportive Documents: Prior you assemble your profile, you should have these supportive documents prepared:

  • A legal passport of travel document
  • Language examination grades (English or French)
  • Education Credential Assessment Report
  • Job proposal letter from a company in Canada (if you have one)
  • Police clearance certificates to verify you have a clean criminal history
  • Medical checkup
  • Evidence that you have sufficient capitals to cover your stay in Canada if you are requested to apply

Confirm Your Profile: Afterwards, you should open an account on the Government of Canada website and initiate your FSWP profile. In the profile form, you will write down your info and any particulars that can earn you points. You will also submit the supportive documents. You have sixty days to conform your profile from the day you initiated, or you will have to begin again. When you submit your profile, you should hold for the selected period. During this, you can provide further supportive documents or papers that progress your scores, such as new language ability exams or a job proposal letter if you get it later.

Get the Invitation to Apply: The Canadian Government will then assess all the profiles that are submitted grounded on the CRS Calculator. If you are one of the people who are the highest scored, you will obtain an invitation to apply for permanent residence. You can admit the request or you can deny it if it is for a different program than the FSWP. If you reject your invitation, then you should begin all over again with a new profile.

Submit Application for Permanent Residence: If you admit the invitation, then the Government of Canada will refer you the forms you should submit to apply for permanent residence. You will have to provide additional supportive documents as well as pay the charges. The charges which apply for the FSWP are as follows:

Kind of Charge

In Canadian Dollar

The economic immigration application charge

1040 (Contains processing fee of 550 and right of permanent residence fee of 490)

The economic immigration application charge

 (without right of permanent residence charge)


Application charge counting spouse or common-law companion


(Contains processing charge of 550 and right of permanent residence fee of 490)

Application fee counting spouse or common-law companion

(without right of permanent residence charge)


Application fee counting a dependent child (per child)



After you submit the forms, documents, and charges, the Canadian Government will assess you, and if they admit your application, you can make travel preparations and move to Canada. If they reject it, they will notify you of the reasons, and you can apply again.

You may also like

Canada Visa Information Canada Visa Information

Schengen Visitor Visa Schengen Visitor Visa