Students Visa for Canada

Students Visa for Canada


A Canada Student Visa permits the individual who has it to begin their education in Canada. The permit for students is mostly the same as a Canada Visitor Visa or an eTA, but the student also requires a study authorization. So, the Canada student visa is a mixture of either a visitor permit and a study visa or an eTA and a study permit. The Canada study permit will only permit you to begin your education in Canada at what are termed Designated Learning Institutions (DLI). The study visa permits you to reside in Canada until your educational program ends and, in some situations, work while you are registered in school or work after you graduate. To keep the Canada study permit, you should accomplish these settings:

  • Always be enrolled in a DLI
  • Be working on completing your study package
  • Attain the necessities of the student visa
  • Halt studying if you do not meet the necessities of the student visa
  • Leave Canada instantly once your study visa comes to an end

The study visa will not permit you to obtain Canadian delivered documents or Canadian government assistances such as health insurance. It will though make a more natural way for you to be qualified to apply for a Canadian nationality if that is your aim.

Who Requires a Canadian Study Visa

All worldwide students who desire to enrol in an educational program in Canada and who require a visitor permit or an eTA to enter Canada should obtain a student permit and visa. The permit in itself does not permit you to enter Canada, but attached with a visitor visa or eTA. It authorizes you to begin your educations. But some groups of publics may not require a study permit to study in Canada if they are in certain circumstances, such as:

  • If your educational program is fewer than six months in Canada, you will only require a visitor permit or eTA, but not a study permit on the state that you finish the program in six months or less than six months. If you cannot complete the education program in six months, then you will require a study authorization
  • If you are a household member or staff member of an overseas official to Canada who is posted by the Global Affairs Canada, then you do not need a study permit
  • If you are an associate of the international military in Canada and are on official responsibilities, you do not require a study permit, but your household members may need one
  • If you are a national of another country who has a Registered Indian Status in Canada, you do not require a study authorization
  • If you are a minor child within Canada, then you do not need a study permit if you are:
    • In playgroup
    • A refugee or refugee applicant
    • If your parents are refugees or refugee applicants
    • Enrolled to pre-school, primary or secondary school, and you have a parent who is permitted to work or study in Canada.

Admissibility Standards

To be qualified to apply for a Canada Student visa and permit you should achieve the following settings:

  • Have a legal acceptance letter from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) with this information:
    • A certified letterhead of the school
    • The educational package and degree you will attain
    • The amount of tuition costs you should pay
    • The start and end dates of the educational program
  • You should be minimum 18 years to apply as the primary student visa claimant and your kids who are under 18 years old cannot apply alone. So, if you have a kid who desires to join primary school or high school, you should apply on account of them
  • Have no criminal record and submit court should to verify it
  • You should fill up and sign a Visa Application Center (VAC) Agreement Form
  • You should submit copies of your existing immigration status in another nation or Canada
  • Verify that your residing in Canada is impermanent and that you will go back to your country once your studies are finished

Visa Requirements

When you fill-up the forms, you will also have to provide the ensuing supportive documents:

  • Scanned copy of your passport to verify that it is legal
  • The history of your all travel, indicating your whole scanned passport to confirm that you have blank pages in the passport
  • Clearance letter from the court and police in your nation to verify you do not have any criminal record
  • A Statement Letter from you to the Government of Canada where you clarify why they should grant you a visa and study permit.
  • Two photographs that reach the Canada Photo Necessities.
  • Medical tests
  • Your employment history or education status through a resume or certificates.
  • Evidence that you can bear the costs of studying in Canada (education and living costs) through one of the following:
    • You should have evidence of a Canadian bank account that is in your name
    • You should have a Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) allotted by a Canadian financial organization
    • You should have evidence that you have reserved a student loan from a bank
    • You should have bank declarations for a minimum four months
    • You should have evidence that you have already compensated your education and living fees.
    • You should have a letter from an individual or organization providing you financial support
    • You should have evidence that you have a scholarship
  • If you are about to study in Quebec, then you will also require to submit a Diploma d’acceptation du Quebec (CAQ) which is allotted by the Quebec government. You will get the directives from your school on how to apply for a CAQ
  • You should submit a letter of clarification saying why you desire to study in Canada and assuring that you admit and appreciate your duties and liability as a student
  • If a minor children is going to Canada to study and require a guardian that is not a legal parent of the minor, then you also require to submit a Custodian Declaration Form which states who the guardian of the child is and should be signed by the parents or legal custodians of the child
  • If you are applying for the very first time, then a document identification number on the study permit that is named a Unique Client Identifier (UCI) is not obligatory for you. If you have submitted your application for a study permit earlier, you are needed to write your study permit document identification number which you can discover in any letters that have been referred to you by the Canadian Government
  • If your household members (spouse or common-law partner and minor children) are also travelling with you, you should also have the appeal forms ready for them and apply together as a family

All the documents should be interpreted into English or French, and you should have accreditations and evidence that the translation is right.

Financial Necessities

To be qualified to own a student visa or study permit, you should have sufficient financial supports to cover your education fee and housing expenses in Canada. If you have household members travelling you, then you will also require extra funds. There are two sorts of fund necessities for students:

  • Studying outside of Quebec
  • Studying in Quebec

Students who are studying outside of Quebec should have these financial coverages to verify they can bear the cost in Canada:

Individuals coming to Canada

Amount of funds mandatory per year in Canadian Dollar

(in totalling to the tuition)

Amount of funds obligatory per month in Canadian Dollar

 (in totalling to the tuition)

You (Student)



First household member



Every extra family member travelling with you




Students who are studying in Quebec should have these financial coverages to verify they can bear their studies in Canada:

Individuals coming to Canada

Amount of funds needed per year in Canadian Dollar

 (in totalling to the tuition)

Amount of funds needed per month in Canadian Dollar

(in totalling to the tuition)

You (Student)



First household member (18 years old or older)



First household member (under 18 years old)



Every further household member travelling with you (18 years or older)



Every extra household member travelling you (under 18 years old)



How to Apply

To be qualified to begin studying in Canada, you should apply and obtain approval for a study permit. However, there are three conditions that you can be in so that you can apply from:

  1. From outside of Canada
  2. From inside of Canada
  3. At the Port of Entry (POE) of Canada

Moreover, for each selection, you can also apply in paper format or over the online facility. The appeal procedure will be similar, but if you apply in paper format, you will have to print all the papers and forward them to the Canadian Consulate. In contrast, when you apply through the online system, you can only submit the scanned documents and finalized forms by affixing them over your authorized account which you have created.

How to Submitt Application for a Study Permit from Outside of Canada: If you are an international student who has been acknowledged to a Canadian DLI, but is outside of Canada, then the application procedure for you will contain applying for a long visitor visa and a study permit. If you are from a nation that does not require a permit to arrive in Canada, then you should apply for an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) and a study permit. The appeal is completed through one method, so you do not requisite to have them distinctly. If you receive permission for the visa, then you will also obtain a study permit. The method of applying for a Canada Student visa and permit from outside of Canada is similar to the application procedure for each sort of Canadian visa.

How to Submit Application for a Study Permit from Inside of Canada: Applying for a study permit from inside of Canada can only be completed if you are in a few of the conditions under:

  • You are a minor in primary or high school
  • You are an interchange or visiting student in Canada
  • You have accomplished a short-term (less than six months) study program in Canada
  • You own a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) for six months or more, or your household member has such a TRP
  • You are the husband or wife or someone who is being supported to immigrate to Canada or has applied for permanent citizenship
  • You own a study permit from outside of Canada, and you desire to lengthen it
  • You are the household member of:
    • Canadian founded the sporting team
    • Media official
    • Member of the priesthood
    • Military staffs posted in Canada
  • You are a household member or personal staff of an overseas representative in Canada

To apply, you will have to visit the Consulate of your country in Canada or communicate the Canadian Consulate to submit the papers there in person

How to Submitt Application for a Canada Study Permit at the Port of Entry (POE): Additional choice of submitting an application for a study permit is when you travel to Canada at the port of entry. Though, you can only apply at the POE if you satisfy these settings:

  • A resident of the United States of America
  • A Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) of the U.S
  • A citizen of Greenland or Saint-Pierre and Miquelon

To apply at the POE, you will first need to obtain an eTA and then submit the documents mentioned above (Segment: How to Apply for a Study Permit from Outside of Canada) at the Canadian Port of Entry. The officers will analysis these papers and will make a result on whether to provide you with the study permit or not.

Visa charges

The appeal procedure for the Canada Student Visa needs that you compensate for all the visa application charges per individual as well as for your household members applying. You cannot submit a petition without reimbursing your dues if you are applying through the online system and if you provide applications in document format without the visa fee, they will not be accepted. You should pay the charges if you are thinking about applying for a student visa and beginning your studies in Canada. The costs are as follows:

Application (per individual)


Canadian Dollar

Study permit (counting applications for extensions)


Biometrics information collection fee (per individual)


Biometrics fee for a household member (two or more than two claimants)

The whole maximum charge for family members who are applying together at the same time


You may also like

Canada Visa Information Canada Visa Information

Schengen Visitor Visa Schengen Visitor Visa