Butter Chicken is a creamy, one-pan dish made using basic ingredients that can be made at home. The recipe rivals any Indian restaurant in terms of flavor. With aromatic golden chicken pieces in a creamy curry sauce, this Butter Chicken recipe is one of the greatest you will ever try.
Origin of the "Butter Chicken Recipe"
In 1948 in North India, the butter chicken recipe was first made. The recipe (also known as murgh makhani) was made by Kundan Lal Gujral and is comparable to British tikka masala. The curry sauce has a perfectly soft, rich texture thanks to adding cream to a buttery sauce. Most restaurants are using a lot of butter, which might cause you to feel bloated or unwell. We prefer to make the sauce with Ghee (clarified butter or a combination of half regular butter and half oil) during recipe testing.
What Spices Are Used to Make Butter Chicken?
Garam masala, Tumeric, Cumin, Red Chili Powder, and Salt are all common spices that can be used to make a delicious sauce. Some of the ingredients may already be in your home kitchen cabinets. If you don't, you'll almost certainly use them again.
Ingredient for Butter Chicken Recipe
For the Chicken Marinade:
- 28 oz (800g) boneless and skinless chicken legs or breasts, chopped into bite-sized pieces for the marinade
- a half-cup of plain yogurt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced (or finely grated)
- garam masala 2 teaspoons
- 1 teaspoon turmeric and 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon powdered red chili
- 1 tablespoon salt
To Make the Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons ghee (or 1 spoon butter + 1 spoon oil)
- 1 large onion, chopped or sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon ginger, finely grated or minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cumin powder
- garam masala 1 1/2 tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 14 ounce (400 g) tomatoes, crushed
- 1 teaspoon powdered red chili (adjust to your taste preference)
- a quarter teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup cream (heavy or thickened) (or evaporated milk to save calories)
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- a quarter teaspoon of kasoori methi (or dried fenugreek leaves)
How to Make Homemade Butter Chicken
- At first, combine the chicken and all of the marinade ingredients in a bowl; marinate for thirty minutes to an hour (or overnight if time allows).
- Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a large frying pan or pot. When the pan is hot, adding the chicken pieces in two or three batches, being careful not to crowd the pan. Cook it for about three minutes per side until brown. Keep warm by setting aside. (The chicken will finish cooking in the sauce.)
- In the same pan, melt butter or ghee. Cook the onions until they begin to sweat (approximately 6 minutes), scraping off any browned bits adhered to the pan's bottom.
- Cook this for 1 minute after adding the garlic and ginger, or until fragrant garam masala, cumin, and ground coriander. Allow cooking for about 20 seconds, stirring regularly, until aromatic.
- Chili powder, salt, and smashed tomatoes. Allow sauce to thicken and turn a rich brown, red color for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove it from heat and puree in a blender until completely smooth. You may need to add a couple of tablespoons of water (up to 1/4 cup) to help it blend. Depending on the size of your blender, work in batches.
- Replace the puréed sauce in the pan. Through the sauce, stir in the cream, sugar, and crushed kasoori methi (or fenugreek leaves). Cook it for another 8-10 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through, in the pan with its juices.
- Serve with fresh, hot garlic butter rice and fresh handmade Naan bread and decorated with chopped cilantro.
Butter Chicken is the most popular dish in any Indian restaurant globally. By following this quick and easy butter chicken recipe process, you can make the delicious butter chicken in your home kitchen and enjoy it with your family and friends.